Sunday, March 25, 2012

More Than Frybread Mockumentary Going Rez to Rez

Frybread Security t-shirt from More than Frybread
By Jack McNeel: March 24, 2012


This looks like it is going to be one of the better mockumentary that I have heard about or watched in a long time. I understand where he is going with this. It is generally a really good idea and the video at the end of the article makes it so much better. The amount of 'cheesy-ness' is amazing. It hits the right spot for a mockumentary. I seriously hope that this film comes out soon for the whole public to see and not just bouncing around reservations then disappear.
The film is about a fake Frybread Competition that is bring together several different tribes as they compete for a trophy to be the best frybread maker. I think that this is a amazing idea for a film, because it brings together several tribes. Frybread is a major part of several tribes and the film is going across several reservations to help connect all the individuals. Weirdly enough frybread really isn't an original traditional food for Native people, but it has become one over the years. The pride that people take in making it is rather interesting. I love how this film is going to explore the cultural identities of people who live on reservations and the connection they have with frybread.


Below are some questions about the film that I thought would explain better.
"What is your background in this field?
I go out to the rez, non-Native, a missionary and just got a degree in anthropology from Northern Arizona University. It’s kind of funny. Three strikes against me right from the start to work with Native people. But it’s fine, I love working on the reservations.
Why did you choose frybread as a subject?
I wanted to make a movie that got us outside the Navajo reservation. I wanted something where we literally had an excuse to shoot on another reservation and make new friends and I thought frybread was a good thing to bring people together. I didn’t realize how frybread is kind of universal so we’re getting people from all over the U.S. and Canada to come and view the film.
Frybread is more important than life or death in Indian country. Have you found anyone offended by making light of it?
We had a world premiere February 3rd and sold out a show of 900 seats and almost sold a second show out the same evening. I think we’ve had one lady that’s seen it that came up with concerns, one out of possibly 10,000 people now that have seen it.
What other reservations are you hitting on this tour?
We’ll hit 11 reservations. On the journey up we started at the Hualapai Reservation, then Umatilla, Yakama, and Nez Perce. Now we’re here [at the University of Idaho] and then we’ll hit Colville, Spokane, Coeur d’Alene, Rocky Boy in Montana and then Fort Duchesne, the Uinta-Ouray, and we finish up in San Carlos. We’ll be gone 15 days and 14 of those days we’ll be showing the movie on 11 reservations in six states.
Final question, why does a white guy make Native films?
I get that question all the time. I came to a better understanding a few weeks ago, someone talking about a hybrid. It’s an interesting idea. That’s the kind of film making I guess I’m involved with, hybrid film making. Here’s this outsider coming to Native communities and working together. I feel we can make a better movie doing it that way."


No comments:

Post a Comment